Monday, 26 September 2011

Christina Rossetti

Christina Rossetti was a poet in the mid-1800’s and her most famous poems are Goblin Market, Up-Hill, A Birthday and Remember. She found her highest inspiration in her deep religious faith and it features in many of her poems. Many of Rossetti’s poems feature feminism and this is mostly due to her personal experiences. When she wanted to publish any work, she had to do it through her brother because women were not equal to men in the publishing world. I shall leave you with my favourite Rossetti poem which is A Daughter of Eve.

A fool I was to sleep at noon,
And wake when night is chilly
Beneath the comfortless cold moon;
A fool to pluck my rose too soon,
A fool to snap my lily.
My garden-plot I have not kept;
Faded and all-forsaken,
I weep as I have never wept:
Oh it was summer when I slept,
It's winter now I waken.
Talk what you please of future spring
And sun-warm'd sweet to-morrow:--
Stripp'd bare of hope and everything,
No more to laugh, no more to sing,
I sit alone with sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment